09 June 2005

Students...

Well, John, you want to know about the students...

They come in all shapes, sizes and ages. A lot of housewives, a few students and business men. I had a very funny one yesterday - this 13 year old kid, who I think has to be there cuz his parents make him. He'd had a big day at school, and it was the last lesson - 8:20 to 9:00pm. He started to fall asleep when he was supposed to be looking at the book! It was so funny!! And he was really struggling with the lesson - I would ask - 'Where did Janelle go?' and he would answer 'Where did Janelle go?'. I would say "Yes - where did she go? Look at the picture." His answer? "Her boyfriend" "No," I say, "that's who she went with. Where did she go?" "Where did she go?" he responds. AAAARRRRGGGHHH! I gave up, shut the book and started talking about a party he is going to soon.

But my last student tonight was great. A housewife, who is a much higher level, and was quite chatty. We managed to get through the lesson, and have plenty of time to chat during the lesson. She remembered what we'd chatted about last lesson two days ago, and warned me that I might want to change my plans cuz its gonna rain on the weekend! Cool! I had fun, and stayed to chat a little more after the bell.

But yeah, you get the whole range. It's cool - keeps the day interesting and broken up! :)

4 Comments:

At 10/6/05 8:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - it must be pretty difficult for you to either keep a straight face... or your hair!... when you're faced with people like that. It's good some of the students are more advanced though - it gives you the opportunity to have real conversations with some different people.

Are you picking up much Japanese? Someone from work was in Japan recently and mentioned how going shopping was a real gamble because you couldn't always tell what was in a food package by its label. Basically, for him, every meal he bought was pot luck - even now he has no idea what some of the things were that he was eating!

Keep smiling!

 
At 10/6/05 1:56 pm, Blogger kelgell said...

Some can be frustrating...customers sure can be at times. But good choice on opting to chat about the party. Still gave him some English practise I suppose. How many people do you have in a class? I know it's not many. Do you often get just one??

 
At 11/6/05 6:36 pm, Blogger Vi said...

The shopping is interesting...I have worked out what a few things are, and I pretty much stick to them - I'm not very adventurous!!

Yeah, I fairly often do just have one student. 1 to 4. I like classes with either 2 or 4 best - you can get them to do pair work, which makes it easier for listening to them and evaluating things.

 
At 13/6/05 11:16 pm, Blogger John M said...

cool, sounds interesting

 

Post a Comment

<< Home