27 May 2005

Same blog, new name

Time for a new name!! I know you'll be glad, Chris, since there are so many blogs already named "The Journey". So what does "gaijen" mean? Alien or foreigner. That's what I am here. It is a very common term - everyone is either Japanese or Gaijen. I like it... I feels like it describes me well. I am accepted, but I'm not the same, and never will be. I'm not from here, I'm just living here the best I can, and enjoying learning the culture. It's cool.

Starting to kinda enjoy work, and the hours are unreal! Feels like I only just had a weekend, and I've only got one day of work left before another weekend!! Yay!!

If you wanna pray for me, pray that the internet on at home really soon! Be so much easier than going into JJ's all the time!!

7 Comments:

At 27/5/05 10:30 pm, Blogger kelgell said...

Yay! Interesting name. Gaijen Viana. Cool. I will definitly pray that internet at home will be swift sweet and smooth. GREAT chatting with ya online. Hopefully I'll find you there more often once you get online at home. Glad you're enjoying your hours too. Not as much work [or as often] as you did here. Relax! Enjoy! and work when necessary.

 
At 27/5/05 10:34 pm, Blogger mattalex said...

If we want to pray for you of course we do!!
like your new name and sad to here you dont have an oven.
ps. It was fun talking to you on msn

 
At 29/5/05 8:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Banana, so glad you're enjoying yourself. Glad your work hours are so good - must be such a change after going non-stop for so many years. Hope you're able to make the most of it and really enjoy your spare time.

 
At 30/5/05 5:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,
Elle's mum here,
I just love blogs, have my own favourites and it sure sounds as if yours will be an interesting take on culture shock. She told me about your amazing adventure.
Build some great memories.
Have fun
Elizabeth

 
At 30/5/05 9:06 am, Blogger John M said...

cool! that's a cool name, nice one :) Hope you don't feel too alienated over there though.

 
At 30/5/05 9:51 am, Blogger Christop said...

One of my lecturers was saying on Friday that it is hard for Gaijen to become a part of Japanese society, because 99% of the population are of Japanese descent. She said that a lot of people who move to Japan associate just with people from their old culture, and some don't even learn to speak Japanese.

 
At 30/5/05 12:52 pm, Blogger Vi said...

Yeah, Christop, it's scary how easy it is to come to this country and yet not really live in it. I so don't want to be like that, but it's kinda a hard culture to become a part of - I'll do my best about learning the language, but don't expect too much more.

And, Elle, you're welcome to come join me any time!! Good luck on your exams!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home