27 March 2007

Rainy days and Mondays

Well, I love rainy days, but Mondays do always get me down.

It is my 'big' day - 8:30 to 5:30, full of intense, confusing theoretical classes. I try not to stress out, 'cuz I know that 1- there is more to learn than I could EVER learn, and I just have to get the basics, and 2- everyone else is just as confused and ragged as me by the end of the day! So funny to see us all drag ourselves out of the last class!

So much stuff seems so intense and complex on Mondays. I always end up thinking, "Do I really want to be a teacher??" But once we start actually using it on Thursdays in school, you see how much simpler it really is. And while it is important to learn the different theories of education, once you've studied them, they just become a way of thinking, and you don't have to worry about it anymore. (Except in interviews, where apparently we are supposed to name drop names such as Piaget, Vygotski and Clay with ease!)

If anyone has any doubts about how someone can be a teacher after just one year of teacher training, they should come along on a Monday and check it out - they really pack stuff in!!

But today is Tuesday. I have survived another Monday, so I know I can make it through the rest of the week. I like Tuesdays - fun PE classes, and only 2 hrs in a classroom. Finished writing up a unit plan for Health in class today, and it was SO very satisfying to see how I and my partner had taken one little sentence in the standards, and turned it into a 3-week unit plan, complete with activities and assessments, all flowing together and building on each other. It was for preps on emotions, and I used some of the stuff we talked about from your emotion books Kel!

I also have a new toy which will make things easier... a laptop!! Yay!! Was a bit of a hassle swapping between uni computers, Dad's and Adam's, depending on availability, and troublesome trying to keep track of where everything was saved etc. I was hesitant to buy one before, 'cuz I would have such substantial debt with just my fees, but since they are so much more manageable, I decided to go ahead! :-) I had to use it to blog first, but I am about to shut myself in my room, and start tapping away at one of my 2,000 word assignments due next week. How fun! :-)

5 Comments:

At 27/3/07 2:42 pm, Blogger Tab said...

Hey! I'm so glad that you finally have a computer again :)

 
At 28/3/07 6:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE your new toy, Banana. It's beeeautiful! Good luck with your assignment. This year is going to fly - can't believe you've already been studying several weeks.

 
At 28/3/07 9:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe new toys are such fun! I hope you've got some antivirus and spyware on there though! dont want it to blue screen whilst u're typing up an assignment!!!

 
At 28/3/07 2:20 pm, Blogger David said...

That's great! Laptops are the best, they are our friends, makinglife so much easier and happier. Mostly.

 
At 31/3/07 2:51 pm, Blogger kelgell said...

How exciting! I studied Piaget and Vygotski too!! Don't know who the other one is. Have you heard of Reggio Emilio and Montessori?? The two youngest I look after go to a RE school and there's Mont. right near it too. Anyhoo, those emotion books are great!!!!! You should buy them as resources if you find some spare cash. Hopefully I'll join the laptop owners soon enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home