17 September 2005

Happy Heather!!!!!!!!

I got home from work tonight to discover 2 packages waiting for me!!! And they both had tim tams!!! They were full of delicious yummy stuff!!!! Tim tams, condensed milk, caramello koalas, custard, vegemite, weet bix and instant chocolate pudding! And a letter and a card! What joy!! What bliss!! What an absolutely brilliantly fantastic way to start my weekend!!! Thanks girls!!!

Hey, wanna hear a funny story? If not, stop reading. My students often ask me what my favourite Japanese food is... well, I don't like seafood, so that rules out sushi (actually, you can get some without fish, but I haven't tried it yet) and sashimi (raw fish); Japanese sweets aren't sweet; and miso soup is a little too salty. So I always answer - Ramen! The students usually look really suprised at my answer, and sometimes almost even laugh a little... I always wonder why.

Well, this week I found out why... when I answered "ramen" a student laughed and nervously told me: "Uh, ramen is Chinese food." LOL!!!! On ya Heather!!!! For months I've been telling all these Japanese people that my favourite Japanese food is Chinese food!! Doh!! LOL!!! The funny thing is that I think I even remember reading that, but didn't quite twig at the time! All those students must surely have left class muttering, "Baka gaijen!" (idiot foreigner)

So, anyway, with my head hung low, I was about to change my answer to Yakiniku, when, with horror, I stopped myself in the nick of time - You fool, Heather - that's Korean!!! I had to shame-facedly ask, "Uh, what is Japanese food?" So from now on, my favourite Japanese food shall be named as Yakitori - food stuck on a stick. I had it for tea 2 nights ago, and it was very yummy.

Anyway, this happy little baka is gonna go eat more tim tams! Have yourselves a merry little weekend! XXOO

6 Comments:

At 17/9/05 8:14 pm, Blogger David said...

Lol, that's funny!

 
At 17/9/05 9:12 pm, Blogger kelgell said...

ah you duffa!

 
At 18/9/05 12:39 am, Blogger Tab said...

Jun said "Yakiniku is japaneses name....
so actually i dont like to use this....
we have a own name is "Bu go gi"...
after u will see that, i think u must use this korean name...and this food is very yummy and very famous food in korea."

 
At 18/9/05 12:41 am, Blogger Tab said...

Oh yeah, Tab here (jun was using my username b4) I've had Korean sushi and it doesn't have fish in it - not raw fish. The kind I had had pork, and the othe rone just tuna, and of course rice. Mmmm, yum, you should try some Vi :)

 
At 18/9/05 12:26 pm, Blogger Tab said...

Jun made a mistake! The Korean word is "bul go gi" lol. He's a silly one.

 
At 19/9/05 9:24 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Heather!!
sounds like you're having a marvellous feast! Glad to hear it!! :D

'food stuck on a stick' doesnt sound as cultural as Yakitori does it hehe! But so long as it tastes good!!! yum!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home