07 September 2005

My first typhoon!!

Dear all concerned Aussies,

It actually wasn't that bad here in Sasebo, believe it or not! I was kinda disappointed with it all - I felt bad, cuz I know you shouldn't wish bad stuff on your city, but it was kinda a pathetic excuse for a major natural disaster here!!

Monday night the winds were pretty ferocious, and they were still at it a fair bit on Tues morning. I made it to work at 1:20 without any problems (I had to share the bus with a whole one other person!!), although I got pretty wet even in the tiny dash from apartment to bus stop and bus stop to arcade. I only had two students scheduled later in the evening, and spent my time productively cutting up flyers and mopping up a bit of a leak in the voice room. I had only been there about an hour when the fax came thru saying all Kyushu was closing!

We were very happy to go home, but I felt a bit naughty, b/c by then the storm had totally died down! I wanted to go for a walk in it, and in the 7min walk back from the video store, I didn't even get soaked through!! Very disappointing to be in middle of a major typhoon and have to go jumping in puddles to get properly wet!! It picked up a little later in the evening. And, hey, I got to watch ER for almost my whole shift! 8 episodes in one sitting! (Ah, the excitement of my life!)

Martina said that's the first time Nova has closed in the 3 years she's been here!! Last year she had to walk to work in a typhoon cuz the busses had stopped running!! LOL!

Dry and safely yours, Viana
Ps - I managed to upload just a couple photos to "Vi's Pics" of my Fuji trip.

2 Comments:

At 7/9/05 8:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear. Adam said that it wouldn't have affected you much, but on the news here they haven't been telling us place-names or anything, so it was hard to figure out what was going on. Sorry it was a bit of an anti-climaz for you. But 8 episodes of ER in a row - now that's an accomplishment!

Thanks for the new pix - you look like a real explorer!

 
At 9/9/05 1:17 am, Blogger John M said...

yeah that would suck, hope you get a typhoon sometime, maybe you will be lucky and get one soon, you can always pray :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home